Thursday, February 8, 2018

Pope-emeritus sends a letter

On Tuesday morning (February 6, 2018), a letter arrived in the offices of the Italian daily newspaper La Corriere della Sera.  The envelope was marked: Urgent, by hand.  The correspondence was addressed to the Italian journalist Massimo Franco and bore the return address:  Mater Ecclesiae Convent, V-120 Vatican City.

The letter was published the next day.


Typewritten letter of His Holiness, Benedict XVI
printed in La Corriere della Sera - February 7, 2018

Dear Doctor Franco,

It moved me that so many readers of your newspaper wish to know how I spend this last period of my life.

In this connection, I can say that, in the slow decline of physical strength, interiorly, I am on pilgrimage towards Home.

It’s a great grace for me to be surrounded on this last end of the route, sometimes a bit tiring, by a love and kindness that I could never have imagined.

In this sense, I also consider your reader’s question as an accompaniment for this stage.

That’s why I can only thank you, assuring you all, from me, of my prayer.

Cordial greetings.


Benedict XVI

No comments: