Monday, January 22, 2018

Telegrams during the return flight to Rome

The aircraft carrying the Pope on his return flight to Rome following the completion of his Apostolic Journey to Chile and Perú landed at Rome's Ciampino International Airport at 2:15pm local time (8:15am EST).

During the flight from Lima to Rome, while passing over Colombia, Venezuela, Portugal, Spain, France and finally entering into Italian airspace, the Holy Father, Pope Francis sent the following telegrams to the respective Heads of State of each of those countries:


While flying over Colombia

His Excellency, Juan Manuel Santos
President of the Republic of Colombia
Bogota

As my return flight from Chile and Perú takes me over Colombia, I send cordial greetings to Your Excellency and your fellow citizens.  Recalling with pleasure my recent visit to Colombia, I willingly invoke the divine blessings of peace and joy upon the nation.

Francis

While flying over Venezuela

His Excellency, Nicolás Maduro
President of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela
Caracas

I send greetings to Your Excellency and the people of Venezuela as my return flight from Chile and Perú takes me over your country.  Entrusting the nation to the providence of Almighty God, I willingly invoke upon all of you the divine blessings of peace and strength.

Francis

While flying over Portugal

His Excellency, Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa
President of the Portuguese Republic
Lisbon

As I fly over Portugal on my return journey from Chile and Perú to Rome, I send cordial greetings to Your Excellency and your fellow citizens.  Recalling with pleasure my recent visit to Portugal, I willingly invoke the divine blessings of peace and prosperity upon the nation.

Francis

While flying over Spain

His Majesty, Felipe VI
King of Spain
Madrid

As my return journey to Rome takes me once more through Spanish airspace, I cordially renew my prayers that all the people of Spain may enjoy the abundant blessings of Almighty God.

Francis

While flying over France

His Excellency, Emmanuel Macron
President of the French Republic
Paris

Returning to Rome at the conclusion of my Apostolic Visit to Chile and Perú, I once again express my cordial best wishes to Your Excellency and the people of France.  With the assurance of my prayers, I gladly invoke upon all of you Almighty God's blessings of joy and harmony.

Francis

Upon re-entering Italian airspace

His Excellency, the Honourable Sergio Mattarella
President of the Italian Republic
Quirinale Palace

Upon my return from the Apostolic Journey to Chile and Perú, where I was able to encounter many of the faithful and representatives of those beloved people and to admire their faith and their desire to grow spiritually and socially, I express to you, Mister President, my cordial greetings and the assurance of a special prayer for the good, serenity and prosperity of the entire Italian nation, upon which I willingly impart my blessing.

Francis

No comments: