Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Greetings aboard the flight to Santiago

Yesterday, aboard the flight from Rome to Chile - his 22nd Apostolic Voyage - the Holy Father, Pope Francis, as he usually does, greeted the representatives of the media who are accompanying him on this trip.

Beginning with a word from the Director of the Holy See Press Centre, Greg Burke, the Pope offered the journalists a few words.


Transcription of the greetings of His Holiness, Pope Francis
offered to journalists aboard the flight to Santiago de Cile

Greg Burke
Your Holiness, thank you.  Thank you first for your thoughts this morning: everyone here has received the little card (with the image of a child) from Nagasaki.  And thank you above all for the possibility to travel with you.  We are full: there are 70 journalists, including - I believe - 12 from Chile and Perù and 12 new journalists.  I take this opportunity to greet them.  There won't be 70 questions while we take the time to greet them now, only a greeting.  Perhaps you want to say something ...

Pope Francis
Good morning!

I wish you a good trip.  Someone from Alitalia told me that the flight from Rome to Santiago is the longest direct flight that Alitalia does: fifteen hours and fifteen minutes, or is it twenty, I don't know ... We have lots of time to rest, to work, to do many things.  Thank you for your work, you will be working hard: three days in one country and three days in the other ... For me, it won't be too difficult in Chile because I studied there for one year, I have many friends, and I know it well - eh, well, I know it well ... I know a bit of it - On the other hand, I know less of Perù because I only went there two or three times for conventions and meetings.


Greg spoke about the card that you were given (the postcard): I found it by accident.  It had been thrown away in 1945, on the back of the card, the dates are written.  It is a child, carrying his little brother who has died on his back, waiting his turn in front of the crematorium in Nagasaki, after the bombing.  I am always emotional when I see that (photo), and I have only dared to write: The fruit of war.  I had it reprinted and it has been distributed because it is an image that speaks a thousand words.  This is the reason why I wanted to share it with you.

Thank you for your work!

Greg Burke
Thank you!

No comments: